June 5th, 2014
Too many of us are afraid to ask for the things we want. Whether it’s asking for the appointment, asking for the sale, asking for referrals, or anything else we might want in our business or personal lives, too often we hold ourselves back.
There are a myriad of reasons, including:
• Fear of rejection
• Fear of being inappropriate
• Dislike of feeling indebted to someone else
• Feelings of unworthiness
• Not wanting to appear pushy
• Not wanting to be perceived as needy or helpless
But asking for what you want is an essential ingredient for your success, not just in sales, but in every area of your life. If you don’t ask for things, you’re denying yourself the opportunity to achieve your goals.
And the reality is that lots of people are perfectly willing to agree to our requests. Here are 17 reasons why someone might say yes to you:
1. They like you
2. They trust you
3. They want what you’re selling
4. They want to be polite
5. They want to be helpful
6. They want to avoid conflict
7. They like trying new things
8. They don’t want to disappoint you
9. They don’t want to lose your business, trust or respect
10. They see an upside for themselves
11. There’s no good reason to say no
17. Fear of missing out
Note that any given person might actually have several of the above reasons to say yes. But if you don’t ask, you don’t give them the opportunity.
So make it a habit to ask for things. Try asking for everything you want for a whole day. Then try it for a week. See what happens. You’ve got nothing to lose but your own fears. And literally everything to gain.
What other reasons have you found why people will say yes to you? Share them in the comments below!